Sunday, April 13, 2008

Walter Benjamin, Be Still My Heart!




My second time around reading Walter Benjamin's "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" has me sold and swooning over his ideas. Granted he is long gone (and supposedly committed suicide?), I am utterly compelled with this piece and, thus, in love. Given everything one reads has its fair share of criticisms, I just feel like this second time around a lot more clicked and, thus, my level of appreciation rose.

If you know me well, you know I love my highlighters. And if you can judge the impact of a piece on my intellectual enlightenment by the amount of hot pink lines drawn on it, "Work of Art..." is the epitome. I might as well have just soaked the article in hot pink highlighter fluid; I was a highlighting queen while reading it. Yes, I acknowledge I am quite freakish, but whatevs I love reading this and can't wait for the summer so I can read the whole book. If I only could read in German...

No comments: